SC Side Event to the CBD COP 13 and Nagoya COP MOP 2, 15 December 2016
Title: Taking Stock of Global Developments on ABS and Intellectual Property
Date: 15 December 2016, 18:15
Venue: Youth Group Meeting Room, Sunrise Building, Second Floor
Organizer: The South Centre
The South Centre – the intergovernmental organization of developing countries that promotes South-South cooperation in the international arena – invites you to a briefing on negotiations and developments on genetic resources, traditional knowledge, access and benefit sharing and intellectual property taking place in various international fora, other than the CBD.
These fora include the World Trade Organization (WTO), the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the World Health Organization (WHO), the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), the International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV), and the UN Human Rights Council (HRC).
The briefing will highlight the urgency of increased coherence.
- Negotiations at the WIPO, the WTO and the UN Human Rights Council, Viviana Munoz Tellez, South Centre
- FAO Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture: Recent developments and possible future work, Dan Leskien, CGRFA Secretariat
- On-going work to enhance the functioning of the FAO International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture MLS of ABS, Alvaro Toledo, ITPGRFA Secretariat
- The Interrelations between the FAO ITPGRFA and the UPOV, François Meienberg, Public Eye
- The WHO Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Framework and study on pathogen sharing, Edward Hammond, Third World Network
Refreshments and snacks will be served
This article was tagged: Access to Knowledge, Agriculture, Biodiversity, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Health, Human Rights, Intellectual Property, Traditional Knowledge, WIPO, World Health Organization (WHO), World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), World Trade Organization (WTO)